Epocrates is a medical reference app that specializes in drug information. It offers prescribing and safety information, such as the differences between adult and pediatric doses, possible adverse reactions, and warnings.
Understanding drug interactions is crucial for passing medical school and practicing safe medicine. There are thousands of drugs on the market, so this is not easy … but that’s where Epocrates comes in.
As one of the earliest medical apps with millions of downloads, 50 percent of doctors in the U.S. currently use Epocrates. The app is known for being a reliable, time-saving tool that keeps you focused on making the best clinical decisions possible.
Epocrates allows you to connect with other doctors by text through a service called athenaText, which is particularly useful for referrals and consults.
Healthcare providers trust this leading medical reference app to support decisions, save time, and deliver patient-focused care instantly, thanks to everything from drug interaction checks to in-depth, peer-reviewed disease content.
Top doctors are using Epocrates to look up drug information, find other providers for consults and referrals, and quickly calculate patient measurements like BMI.
Considering that time is one of a med student’s most valuable assets, feedback from users indicating that Epocrates saves at least 20 minutes a day is reason enough to download this app.
Additionally, this app allows you to access information regarding prescriptions, OTC medications, herbals and other supplements. You can also check them for interactions with as many as 30 drugs simultaneously.
This app helps you ace your pharmacology subject and will guide you well in creating an excellent treatment plan for your patient.
If you’re looking for an ultimate medical reference app, I highly recommend downloading Epocrates. This app has been helpful for medical students as a quick reference for their clinical practice.
All in all, this app is an excellent reference for pharmacology and good prescription practice.
- The app can also check whether an insurance plan covers a particular drug.
- You may find comprehensive information about a drug—its indication, dosing, interactions, therapeutic and side effects, etc.
- You could also quickly calculate a person’s BMI for your nutrition and dietary-related recommendations.
- Review industry-standard clinical guidelines, receive alerts on a wide range of speciality topics and use the 600+ dosing calculators, medical equations and tools.
- The platform allows you to review drug prescribing and safety information for thousands of brand, generic, and OTC drugs.
- You can also look for potentially harmful interactions between up to 30 brand, generic, OTC, or alternative drugs at a time.
- A mystery pill identifier makes it easy to identify a pill based on its imprint or physical characteristics, organized by shape, color, and imprint code.
Epocrates is Available for both Android and iOS users.
You can get a free version or purchase a subscription plan.
The app itself and most of its content are free. The free version of Epocrates centers on pharmacology and features a powerful drug interaction checker.
Access to additional information and functionality (like lab guides, interpretation of Lab results, alternative medications, and disease processes and information) requires an in-app purchase of paid version (Epocrates Essentials), which costs around $174.99 a year.